Septic Do’s & Don'ts
- DO have your system inspected annually.
- DO conserve water by taking shorter showers.
- DO fix dripping faucets.
- DO turn off water while brushing your teeth or washing dishes.
- DO compost your garbage instead of using a garbage disposal.
- DO learn the location of your septic system and drain field. Keep a sketch of it handy for service visits.
- DO keep a record of pumping, inspections and other maintenance.
- DON'T allow anyone to drive or park over any part of the system.
- DON'T pour harsh chemicals down the drain.
- DON'T flush cat litter, cigarette butts, or coffee grounds.
- DON'T dump the following nonperishable or poisons. They can kill the beneficial bacteria that treats your wastewater.
- Non-degradables: Grease, disposable diapers, baby wipes, feminine hygiene products, plastics, etc.
- Poisons: gasoline, oil, paint, paint thinner, pesticides, antifreeze, etc.